PoliticsHot News

Tell everybody I was a good man: The last words of Ghanaian General who ordered for fufu with light soup before his execution

During his detention, Acheampong was interrogated about his activities while in power. Then on Wednesday, June 13th, 1979 he was allowed to give a press conference in Accra.

The reason for this, a spokesman for the AFRC explained, was not to afford Acheampong the “opportunity to exonerate himself from the allegations made against him”, rather, it was to openly demonstrate to all, particularly to former high-placed government officials, that Acheampong in his statements to his interrogators had been “persistently shifting blame away from himself to other people” in a bid to “save his own skin”.

READ MORE  Ghana confirms more COVID-19 deaths as 450 doctors get hit, kills 7

The AFRC’s statement ended on a warning note: “The Council wishes to assure the public that Mr. Acheampong’s professed support for the objectives of the revolution will not deter the Council pursuing relentlessly, its stated aim of punishing severely, the selfish pillage of the nation’s wealth by past regimes”.

Acheampong was treated to the last dinner of fufu brought to him by his 25-year-old daughter Elizabeth Nana Serwaa. His last words to her were “Tell everybody I was a good man and pray for me.”

READ MORE  Lordina Mahama no longer staying with Mahama - Abronye DC drops bombshell

The next morning, Ignatius Kutu Acheampong and General Edward Kwaku Utuka, the major general who had served as the Commander of the Border Guards, were driven to an Anglican Church situated in Camp Burma, the seat of power for successive Ghanaian military governments.

Both men prayed for a short period before being taken to the firing range in Teshie that was to serve as the place of execution. Ignatius Kutu Acheampong smiled and waved a white handkerchief to the reporters as he was driven off to his death.

READ MORE  Ghana Health Service downplays COVID-19 second strike

He and General Edward Kwaku Utuka both had red hoods drawn over their heads before being shot.

Acheampong and Utuka were shot two days before the scheduled elections to return Ghana to civilian rule for the first time since 1972.

Afterward, the bodies were taken away for burial in a prison cemetery at Nsawam, north of Accra.

He died at age 47.

Read More News HERE.

Source: cbgist.com

Related Articles

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *